Overwatch by Blizzard was released in 2016 and since then, it’s seeing over 40 million players a month worldwide. That’s quite the number of players!
But what exactly is Overwatch and how can I download it for mobile? That’s what we’re going to find out in this guide.
What is Overwatch?
Simply put, Overwatch is a multiplayer FPS game designed to be played online. This game combines elements from highly successful games such as Fortnite, MOBA games and every other game by Blizzard.
The goal of each game is simple, each player can select from a roster of 31 characters (heroes) who are all unique in terms of abilities and characteristics. There are 7 game modes in Overwatch mobile to choose from:
- Assault – In this mode, there are two teams: The attacking and defending team. The attacking team’s objective is to obtain the two capture points while the defender team does everything in their power to defend these points until the time expires. The team that successfully achieves their mission wins.
- Control – In Control mode, there’s no time limit. Two teams shall duke it out in a capture point in a best-of-two format. The team that reaches 100% first wins the round and so on. There will be over time, once a team achieves 99% while the other is contesting the point.
- Escort – In Escort, the attacking team’s mission is to successfully deliver a payload to a delivery point. The other team must prevent this from happening until the time expires.
- Hybrid – The Hybrid mode is a combination of two other modes. Currently, the only available Hybrid mode combines the Assault and Escort modes.
- Capture the Flag – In this classic mode, the two teams each have their own flags on their sides of the map. The mission is to take the opposing team’s flag and bring it in your base while defending your own. The game is decided when a team reaches 3 points first or whichever team has the most points when the 5-minute timer expires.
- Deathmatch – Deathmatch is an 8-player free-for-all mode where the only objective is to kill your opponents. The first one to reach 20 points or the one with the highest score when the time expires wins first place. Win credit is given only to the top 4 players.
- Elimination – Elimination is a hybrid of the Deathmatch mode. In here, the two teams will try to eliminate all the members of the opposing team to win. Unlike Deathmatch though, once a player is killed in here, he will not respawn.
Like MOBA games, Overwatch characters are divided into 3 distinct roles: Tank, Damage and Support. There are 31 characters overall and each one has their own role, abilities, and characteristics.
Because of this, players will find it hard initially to play all the characters. But once mastered, the heroes’ true skills will shine through.
Here are some of the most popular characters:
Bastion – This character seems to be by far the most popular among players. He’s a Damage type hero meaning he can be the go-to scorer while still being able to hold down a spot. His self-repair ability is very useful too.
Tracer – Tracer is another Damage-type hero who has the agility and the power to show for it. Tracer’s on the cover of the game which just goes to prove that she’s a popular one.
Genji – Lastly, Genji is a powerful character that requires a skilled player to operate. This is because of his difficult to master skills and characteristics. But once mastered, he can block enemy ultimate.
How to Install Overwatch Mobile
Overwatch can be confusing to download for newbies but fret not, we’re here to guide you. Here are the steps:
- Go to www.blizzard.com
- Click ‘Download for Windows’ or ‘Download for Mac’ depending on your OS.
- Click save.
- Open the downloaded file.
- Click yes to authorize Battle.net app to make necessary changes to your computer.
- Log in to Battle.net. Create an account if you don’t have one yet.
- Select ‘Games’.
- Select Overwatch from the list.
- Click buy now and after purchasing, click ‘install’.
- That’s it!
That’s our quick guide on the mechanics and how to install Overwatch. Note that Overwatch is currently not available yet for mobile as of July 2019.